Happy Spring everyone!

Sunday, March 15, 2009

British Imperialism in Africa Causes

Due to the fact that I cannot upload my thinking maps, I will just summarize what I read. I recently read about British imperialism in Africa in my AP European History book. The section describes how Britain was the most advanced country in the whole of Europe at the time and that they had many things at their disposal. Also, it talked about how Britain participated in the "Scramble for Africa" which was the race for African Colonies. Britain desired a cape-to-cairo expansion of territory but it was blocked by Germany having some colonies between the south and the North. In addition, Nationalism was a cause of British Imperialism in Africa because it fueled the thought that your country was superior to all else and moreover all other races. This in turn increased racism and other thoughts of the late 19th century. Furthermore, the section explained Rudyard Kiplings, "The White Man's Burden" which is one of his most well known poems because it deploys a sense of responsibility to govern the non-white people of Africa.
MLA:
Kagan, Donald, and Steven Ozment. The Western Heritage. 9the ed. Upper Sadle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 2007. (note The Western Heritage is supposed to be underlined not in bold, this does not let me underline).

0 comments: