Happy Spring everyone!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My favorite book is Looking for Alaska

My favorite book would have to be Looking for Alaska by John Green. This book is about a 16 year old boy named Miles Halter, aka "Pudge" who is obsessed with memorizing famous dead people's last words. He's tired of his boring life so he leaves for boarding school in Alabama to find what a dying Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Pudge soon has friends whose lives are anything but safe and boring. At the center of their group is the beautiful and self-destructive Alaska Young, who is a master of pranks and avoiding school rules. Pudge falls impossibly in love with Alaska, who in turn always adores him but has a boyfriend of her own. When Alaska dies in a car crash, driving drunk, it tears apart at everyone, but mostly Pudge. Alaska meant so much more than a friend to him, more like his life and soulmate, as if they were the same person. Only when faced with death of a loved one does Pudge truly discovers the value of living and loving unconditionally. It also shows the impact one life can have on another.

5 comments:

Kelsey J. said...

That book sounds really good. I think I might have to read it.

Britta said...

it is a really good book!

Emilia said...

I can't wait to read this! I'm in a class right now where we choose books to read from a list. I was stupid and did NOT choose this one, and everyone in my class told me what a great book it was. I chose A Step From Heaven by An Na, which I liked, though. But Looking for Alaska is definitely on my To Read List!

Did you know John Green, the author, is going to be at The Loft Literary Center downtown on September 27th to talk about his new book? You might be able to get his autograph!

Here's the link:

http://www.loft.org

Btw, I'm Emily from the University of Minnesota. I can't wait to read more of your blog!

Britta said...

thanks emily!

KAYNA said...

This book sounds so good im going to have to read it.